Thunderstorms will bring a wet start to the week for some parts of the UK, but sun-worshippers can expect to see the hottest temperatures of the year so far by the weekend.
The mercury could rise to 33C in the south east of England by Friday, while overnight highs of 19C throughout the week will mean muggy conditions for many.
High humidity on Monday and Tuesday will spark thunderstorms and weather warnings are in place for Northern Ireland, Scotland and much of England.
The best of the weather will be in western Wales and the south west of England, Met Office forecaster Simon Partridge said.
He said: “Thunderstorms will be fairly well scattered and not everyone will see them but again if you do catch one they’re likely to be pretty hefty downpours.
“Overall through much of England and Wales tomorrow generally speaking it’s a reasonably dry day with some bright sunny spells but there’s that risk of thundery showers which can break out anywhere in those areas.
“The most reliable places to stay dry and see the best of the sunshine really is western Wales and south-west England on Monday.”
As much as 80mm of rain could fall in Scotland, while 40mm is forecast to fall in parts of Northern Ireland and most of England.
Temperatures are likely to reach 28C in London and 21C in Wales and Northern Ireland, but will be lower in Scotland with a high of around 14C on Monday.
The highest temperature of the year so far was 28.8C in Norfolk on June 2.
The June record is 35.6C, which occurred in Southampton in 1978.
Essex Fire and Rescue Service tweeted: “It is incredibly dangerous to leave a child, pet or anyone vulnerable in a vehicle, particularly in this heat.”
Saffron Walden fire station posted a picture of the smashed window on social media and said: “Well a first for us! We have been called to animals locked in cars while the owners go shopping but never a child.
“We cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to leave any person, child or animal locked in a car in this heat.
“The child was rescued by our crew who smashed a window to gain entry.
“The incident has now been handed over to Essex Police for further investigation.
“First aid was given by St John Ambulance crew.”
Essex Police said: “We were called by colleagues at Essex County Fire and Rescue Service to reports of a toddler locked in a car in Common Hill, Saffron Walden, just after 4.20pm on Saturday, 22 June.
“Officers attended as firefighters broke into the car and were joined shortly after by the child’s relatives. A referral has been made to social care.”
Detective Inspector Tara Denn said: “This was an appalling and unprovoked attack on two men simply making their way home and we are working tirelessly to locate those responsible.
“Two men have been left with significant injuries tonight and the hate and violence that has been inflicted on them is simply unacceptable and won’t be tolerated on the streets of Merseyside.
“I would ask anyone in Manningham Road or the surrounding areas this evening to please come forward with any information.
“You may have witnessed the incident or youths making off from the scene, or even have CCTV or dashcam footage, and I would urge you to please get in touch with police.
“Likewise, if you know who is responsible for this crime, please do the right thing and let us know.
“There is absolutely no place for hate crime in society and we know how much of a massive impact it has on victims. I want to reach out to the LBGT community, who I know will be deeply saddened by this news, and reassure you that we stand with you and if you report such incidents to the police, we will do our utmost to support and protect you and bring those responsible to justice.
“We are passionate about maintaining the right of all our communities to be treated with fairness, dignity and respect, and by working closely with our partners will continue to work to eradicate hate crime of all forms.
“Victims can report directly to the police where experienced hate crime officers will treat them with sensitivity and compassion, or via third party reporting centres in fire stations, citizen advice bureaus and hospitals where the information will be passed on.”
Boris Johnson’s row with partner Carrie Symonds, which ended with the police visiting her flat in the early hours of Friday morning dominated the Sunday newspapers and shows.
With Johnson refusing to answer questions on the issue, his proxies, critics and supporters of rival Jeremy Hunt filled the space on the airwaves, and the story is showing no sign of going away.
The ex-foreign secretary’s EU withdrawal plan also came under tough scrutiny, while Jeremy Corbyn will have heard Labour voices from both sides of the second referendum divide set out their cases ahead of what is looking like a crunch week for the leader on Brexit.
The Johnson/Symonds row
Liam Fox piled pressure on Johnson by suggesting he should answer questions on what happened with Symonds, having dodged the issue at the first hustings of the Tory leadership run-off in Birmingham on Saturday.
The Brexit-backing international trade secretary, who is supporting Hunt, suggested the story was becoming a “distraction” from the big issues in the Tory leadership race.
He told BBC One’s Andrew Marr Show: “It’s always easier to just give an explanation and move on.”
Hunt later tightened the squeeze on Johnson, telling Sky News that “someone who wants to be prime minister should answer questions on everything”.
However, the leadership frontrunner was nowhere to be seen, with his backers Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak instead sent out to defend him.
Truss told BBC Radio 5 Live’s Pienaar’s Politics: “There’s no point in asking me, I believe it’s a private matter, I don’t think the public are concerned about that and I think that Boris is somebody who served for eight years as mayor of London – did a brilliant job, he served as foreign secretary, people know what he’s like in office and that’s what’s important.”
But Labour’s shadow communities secretary Andrew Gwynne said Johnson was “completely unsuitable” to be PM.
He told Sky News’s Sophy Ridge On Sunday: “In one sense, of course, it is a private matter, but when you’re running for public office, when you are wanting to be the prime minister of the UK, then these matters are in the public interest.
“I’ve long held the view that Boris Johnson is unsuitable to be prime minister of this country. I’ve had my run-ins with Boris – I, infamously, was almost tackled to the ground in the 2017 general election by this man.”
Johnson’s Brexit strategy also came under heavy scrutiny, with Fox joining cabinet ministers who overnight warned that the frontrunner’s claims that the UK could have tariff-free trade with the EU without ratifying a withdrawal deal was wrong.
Johnson has been suggesting that Britain could use something called Article 24 of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) to leave the EU on World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms – essentially a no-deal Brexit – and not see duties imposed on goods crossing the border.
Fox said this would not work unless the EU agreed. Brussels has made clear that the withdrawal agreement negotiated by Theresa May is the only exit deal available.
Liam Fox on Boris Johnson’s ‘GATT 24′ #Brexit claims: “It isn’t true, that’s the problem”
“Article 24, sub section five it is, allows countries to deviate from what’s called the most-favoured nation principle.
“And that is we have to treat one and other the same, give the same access to markets.
“There are two exceptions under that part of the trade law. One says if you are going to be in a customs union. The other says if you have got a free trade agreement
“But you have to have the agreement to benefit from any temporary relaxation.”
Labour’s second referendum problem
Corbyn is facing increasing pressure to unequivocally back a second referendum and to campaign for staying in the EU and is currently consulting with unions on the way forward, with a potentially significant policy pivot coming later this week.
Senior Labour figures from both sides of the party’s deep divide over Brexit used the Sunday shows to try and sway the leader.
Only a handful of Labour MPs have previously backed the deal May negotiated with the EU but Flint said: “I think it will go up but I’ve been through this situation many times before.
“I believe that the only way to stop no deal is to support a deal.”
Flint also said she would rather support a no-deal Brexit than stay in the EU.
“I won’t be voting to revoke Article 50,” she said.
Labour former foreign secretary David Miliband meanwhile made the case for staying in the EU, telling Marr: “The politicians are honour-bound to stop playing with the unicorns, there isn’t a jobs-first Brexit, just as there isn’t a GATT 24 option for the Tories.”
He went on: “The arguments that you’re making against a second referendum that it will prolong the agony, that it will fuel the far right, that it will divide the country, those are precisely the arguments against the deals that are on offer now.”
Shadow international development secretary Dan Carden said he would vote to stay in the EU in a second referendum if no deal was the other option.
He told Pienaar: “If there was a referendum and no deal was an option and remain was an option, then I would be voting to stay in the EU.”
And Gwynne made clear Corbyn’s position was unchanged, for now.
“Is this really the Brexit you want?”
Labour’s @GwynneMP tells @SophyRidgeSky that Labour’s Brexit deal will not be presented by Johnson or Hunt as PM, so their final deal will have to be voted on by the public.
He told Ridge: “Jeremy’s said that and that is because we face the risk of no deal, so that any Brexit deal that is brought to parliament, including a no-deal scenario, we will say, as the Labour party, that there should be a second referendum on those prospects, because it’s looking increasingly likely that we’re heading to no deal, that was not on the ballot paper in 2016.”
Pro-EU Tory MPs were said to be spying an opportunity to block a no-deal Brexit by joining Labour in backing a vote of no confidence in Johnson’s government as soon as the new PM takes office next month.
It is likely this would trigger a general election and Truss said she did not believe her colleagues “would seek to bring a Tory government down and let in Jeremy Corbyn and his Marxist agenda”.
“It’s the executive’s decision, it was Theresa May’s decision to go back to the EU and ask for an extension – it’s not a matter for parliament, it’s a matter for the executive.” pic.twitter.com/H2qDsOfQNi
The Telegraph and Mail on Sunday have prompted a fierce backlash after both published articles detailing the private lives of the couple who recorded a row between Boris Johnson and his partner last week.
Tom Penn has said he recorded the altercation within his own home and “after a loud scream and banging” agreed with his wife that they should check on their neighbours.
He add: “I knocked three times at their front door, but there was no response. I went back upstairs into my flat, and we agreed that we should call the police.”
After the police told Penn all was well, he then passed the recording to The Guardian.
The Mail on Sunday subsequently published an article describing Penn and his wife as a “Remainer couple” who had tried to “sink Boris”.
Revealed: The Remainer couple who called police on Boris Johnson after are a millionaire’s daughter, who got Brussels funding for pro-EU theatre festival, and her remainer playwright partner: https://t.co/IgIpHAZsCG
Labour MP Jess Phillips accused the journalists behind the story of “rank hypocrisy”.
Every single journalist saying that the neighbours shouldn’t have released the story should know that their publication has at some time or another called me and asked for information on abusive MPs. It is rank hypocrisy
I’ve lost count of the number of domestic violence cases I’ve successfully prosecuted which only came to the police attention because of the actions of concerned neighbours. These people are literal life-savers. For MPs to discourage this for political point scoring is shameful. pic.twitter.com/SnZh9gvADu
Three teenagers have sustained multiple serious injuries after apparently falling 70ft from cliffs on to a beach.
The Coastguard said it had received a call at around midnight on Sunday from a man saying he and two others had fallen down a cliff at Porthleven. The caller’s torch on his mobile phone was used to help identify their location.
The three men, one believed to be aged 18 and two aged 19 and from the local area, were airlifted to Derriford Hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries.
Their next of kin have been informed, the Press Association reports.
Devon and Cornwall Police appealed for any witnesses or those with information to come forward.
Inspector Matt Setchell said: “Initial inquiries suggest that the men have fallen around 70ft from the cliffs into the cove below.
“We are continuing to carry out inquiries to establish how they came to be on the cliff and the circumstances surrounding the incident.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the force on 101, quoting log 17 of May 5.
Donald Trump has claimed the result of this year’s Kentucky Derby was a result of “political correctness” after the winner was disqualified for obstructing other horses.
Race favourite Maximum Security crossed the line first but after a 20 minute consultation, judges handed the coveted title to Country House.
The president posted a tweet expressing his outrage at the decision, saying: “The Kentuky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough and tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch.
“Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby – not even close!”
The Kentuky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough and tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby – not even close!
Trump didn’t explain the role “political correctness” played in the decision but his apparent anger at a winner found to have broken the rules being disqualified led some to compare the situation to his 2016 presidential election.
Sort of like how the Best Candidate didn’t win the 2016 Presidential election?