Spending more time at home has its benefits, especially in the kitchen. We’ve noticed our culinary repertoire has extended beyond basic beans and toast… to rustling up some seriously exciting dishes, like this tantalizing taco recipe from Naked Glory.
The secret to authentic-tasting tacos? It’s all in the spices: this recipe includes cumin, coriander, paprika and garlic powder, as well as chillies, a spritz of lime and a colourful, flavourful side salad with tomatoes, cucumber and avocado.
Swapping out a signature taco ingredient for a more health-focused alternative, like ditching the meat for Naked Glory Mince, is what makes these tacos seriously epic (the protein-packed mince is such a convincing substitute, from texture to smell to taste, whoever you’re cooking for might not even realise they’re cheating on meat).
“In the UK, more people are selecting meat-free options; according to statistics compiled by The British Takeaway Campaign, sales in the vegan food sector increased by 388% in just two years,” says Nina Sabat, a registered nutritional therapist at Nutrition with Nina.
“Even among the staunchest of meat-and-2-veg traditionalists, a meat-free meal is far less of a challenge – either visually or in terms of taste. I believe it is because there is now so much choice as to what you can put on your plate, whether you are eating out, or even cooking at home.”
Sabat urges her clients looking to take a more healthful approach to start by substituting their favourite dishes with meat-free alternatives.
Tangy, tasty and mind-blowingly good, this Mexican taco dish is a fun way to kick off the weekend, and is a far more exciting alternative to anything pasta or rice-based for your next meat-cheat meal.
Keen to try a meat deceit for dinner tomorrow? We’ve got the recipe for those meat-free Mexican tacos from Naked Glory below.
NAKED GLORY MINCE TACOS
Ready in about 15 minutes
Ingredients for tacos –
1 tsp vegetable oil
260g Naked Glory Mince
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
300g tinned chopped tomatoes
4 small soft wheat tortilla wraps
100g sour cream (or vegan yoghurt)
1 small bunch coriander, finely chopped
2 tbsp red/green jalapeno chillies
2 limes, cut into wedges
Ingredients for salad –
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp runny honey
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g drained and rinsed kidney beans
¼ cucumber, chopped
200g cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 avocado, peeled, stoned and chopped
2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
To serve with –
100g tomato salsa
1 small bag nachos
- Heat a frying pan until medium hot. Add the oil and Naked Glory Mince and fry for 3-4 minutes until browning, then add the spices and fry for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 1-2 until thickened and hot through.
- Stir in the lime juice and coriander stalks and half the leaves.
- Meanwhile, chop all the salad ingredients, tip into a bowl and toss together.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot. Add the tortillas, one at a time, and griddle on each side for 40-60 seconds until charred.
- Divide the spiced mince between the tacos and top with a dollop of sour cream, the coriander, chillies and a squeeze of lime. Serve straightaway with the salad, salsa, guacamole and tacos.