Get the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.
US president Donald Trump has claimed he was only testing the media when he suggested injecting people with disinfectant to fight off Covid-19.
“I was asking sarcastically to reporters just like you to see what would happen,” he told reporters early Friday afternoon.
Trump did not appear to be joking when he pondered the idea at Thursday’s press briefing.
“I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in one minute,” Trump said at the time. “Is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? […] It would be interesting to check that.”
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus and grief
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.