By Funmi Fetto
In dark days, a bold lip colour can be your sign of defiance. Plus, an everlasting blusher and soothing treatment for hands
In these unprecedented times, is wearing makeup a superficial occupation? I’d argue it’s a much-needed mood booster. Historically, women have boldly sported bright lipstick in challenging times. In 1912, Elizabeth Arden famously handed out red lipsticks to the suffragette movement and in the Second World War sent tubes of it to women serving in the military. Wearing a bold lip colour is a sign of defiance, it symbolises fearlessness and it will bring you a little comfort and joy every time you catch your reflection in the mirror. There’s nothing frivolous about that.
1. Kevyn Aucoin Unforgettable Lipstick £24, spacenk.com
2. Kilian Paris Le Rouge Parfum Lipstick £42, harveynichols.com
3. Dolce & Gabbana Dolcissimo Matte Liquid Lip Color £36, harrods.com
4. Tom Ford Lip Spark Lipstick £40, selfridges.com
5. Smashbox Always On Cream To Matte Lipstick £19, lookfantastic.com