By Matt Bagwell
about their outfits, with their detractors suggesting their stage costumes can border on inappropriate, particularly given how many of their fans are girls and young women.
The band have consistently hit back at this idea , and in their interview with Attitude, explained how they see being able to wear whatever they want as an extension of their feminist beliefs.
Jade Thirlwall told the magazine: “Being a feminist doesn’t mean you have to wear a polo-neck jumper and a pair of trousers. Anyone can be a feminist. Feminism is just believing in equality.”
Bandmate Jesy Nelson added: “You should be able to be whatever kind of woman you want to be. You should be able to wear what you bloody want to wear and rock it with confidence. As long as you feel good about yourself, that’s all that matters.”
1. Their Comments About Female Empowerment
They told Wonderland magazine last year: “Girl power is what we’re about. It’s what we stand for as a group. We want to do everything we can to make women feel better about themselves.”
Brian Rasic via Getty Images
2. When They Stopped A Song To Comfort Perrie
Perrie was in the middle of a worldwide promo tour when her break-up with Zayn Malik was announced, leading to this emotional moment. Fortunately, she had her BFFs at her side.
3. When Leigh-Anne Refused To Let The Paps Get A Pic Of Perrie Looking Sad
When your friend’s going through a break-up, you’ll do all you can to make sure their ex doesn’t see them looking sad, right?
4. And The Accompanying Prom-Themed Photoshoot Was Just As Brilliant As Their Comments
This is a limo we want to ride in.
5. Even If The Prom Itself Isn’t All That…
Still, at least they have each other to dance with, right?
6. When They Proved They’re Not Afraid Of Telling A Bad Joke…
Even if no one else is laughing, clearly.
7. …And They’ll Laugh Even If They’re Not *All* In On It
8. When Jesy Said She She’ll Be Having The Other Girls As Her Bridesmaids
She told MailOnline last year: ‘I wouldn’t have anyone else.’
Paul Archuleta via Getty Images
9. …Which Is Hardly Surprising, Given How Jade Gushed When Jesy And Jake Got Engaged
‘Whenever I see them, I literally watch them like some sort of pervert…’ Amazing.
10. When They All Clearly Found This Moment As Hilarious As We Do
is she saying?!
11. When They Celebrated Their Number-One Single With A Sleepover
What we’d give for an invite to one of these get-togethers.
12. When They Hit The Red Carpet With Their Mums…
Here they are with their mothers on the red carpet at the Brit Awards. Adorable.
Mike Marsland via Getty Images
13. …And Then SLAYED When They Actually Hit The Stage…
Managing to out-stage Adele, Rihanna and Coldplay is no mean feat, but the girls managed it.
14. …But They Still Sound Great Stripped Back
Take away the bells and whistles, and you still can’t fault those harmonies.
15. When They Stick Up For One Another
When Katie Hopkins slagged Jesy off on Twitter, Jade spat back, telling HuffPost UK: ‘I just think she [Hopkins] is a really sad person… I think it’s really sad that she has to try and find some kind of limelight by slating everyone else.”
Danny Martindale via Getty Images
16. When They Went All Out For Halloween
They’re clearly not afraid of a group costume – though we never had them down as Kiss fans.
David Jensen/EMPICS Entertainment
17. When Jade Proved She Was The Biggest Little Mix Fan Of All
Check those bed covers – they’re Little Mix print!
18. In Fact, We Think Perrie Said It Best…