Following almost two months of the best weather many of us have ever seen in the UK, Britons rejoiced on Friday at the sight of a familiar foe turned long-lost friend – rain – the wet stuff that used to fall when grass was green.
Like a sign, literally from the heavens, it descended in all its deliciousness late in the afternoon ending hopes – that it seems almost no one had – that today would be the hottest day ever recorded.
Hotter than yesterday even when the mercury barely bumped past 35C – it reached 35.1C in Surrey.
So, as forecasters predicted earlier this week when they replaced their “stay inside, stay pale” advice with “watch out for flood” warnings – it rained.
Water fell from the sky to the ground.
Naturally, this was a moment to look up at the heavens in awe, and to Tweet like something awesome had just happened on Love Island.
1) The great escape from nice weather – Britain crawled through a sewer of *sunshine (just like Andy Dufresne did in Shawshank Redemption)
2) Because we hated every minute of the prison that was sunshine
— Gary Hall (@Gazz1975) July 27, 2018
3) There was “dramatic scenes”… everywhere!
Oh man, I can’t believe it! It’s finally here! Rain in London <3 pic.twitter.com/zLKel0nnJ5
— Anastasiia Tsaplii (@atsaplii) July 27, 2018
So much rain the gutters can’t cope pic.twitter.com/O9K5mCqrcN
— justscrewedupme (@justscrewedupme) July 27, 2018
I have seen three people slip over in the apocalyptic rain deluge. Be safe Great Britiain, these are testing meteorological times. pic.twitter.com/gWcdR0v7pp
— Harlexyrocks (@Harlexyrocks) July 27, 2018
4) And utter confusion… what do we do now. Go home?
5) Because “It was so different this morning”
Got soaked walking back from evening prayer tonight on Lindisfarne. Had to wring my dress out when I got back! Thunder and lightening and plenty of rain! It was so different this morning! pic.twitter.com/u3Mv5rnfUe
— Liz Devall (@lizdevall1) July 27, 2018
6) There were tears… of joy
I’m unsure if the water on my face is from the a) rain b) my tears of joy c) both. Shout out to all our staff, patients & visitors @NHSBartsHealth for coping this week – I hope the weekend is much cooler for you all #Heatwaveuk#thunderstorms#FurnaceFridaypic.twitter.com/jPmiIEIBdW
— Lucy Kearney (@lucyvkearney) July 27, 2018
7) Because it was time to get naked!
Naked dancing in the rain…..at last! 💃 pic.twitter.com/lcaJHNlml2
— 💋❤Little H❤💋 (@Hayley8974) July 27, 2018
8) Are you not entertained?
— Joe Hart (@JoeHart_20) July 27, 2018
9) Bold statements and declarations were made
THIS RAIN IS GREAT
— Vanessa Yau (@NessWUT) July 27, 2018
10) Even cats were transfixed
her sister gets a bit scared and hides whenever the weather’s like this but she seems to enjoy watching the rain & the thunder doesn’t bother her 💕 pic.twitter.com/Q9bY71aBXW
— 🧚🏽♀️✨ (@haikyoots) July 27, 2018
… but not all of them were happy about it
Someone a little less happy about the storm and rain pic.twitter.com/GCB7mNjoiy
— Dawn Foster (@DawnHFoster) July 27, 2018
11) 27 July 2018 will be remembered as the day rain changed social media habits forever – or at least one Friday night for Shazzy
— Shaz (Shazzy) Wrench 🍾🥂🎸🎶🖤 (@fiftyminus2) July 27, 2018
12) Phone tricks were tried in an attempt to go viral during the phenomenon known as ‘rain’
— The Tower of London (@TowerOfLondon) July 27, 2018
I’ve never been so happy about rain. 😊⛈️ pic.twitter.com/mZ8adtYTtr
— BLEU Demented Hobbyist #FBPE (@Ferretgrove) July 27, 2018
13) Did you see how it looked from Westminster? Wow, just wow!
After weeks of drought, London has finally had some rain. Here’s the view from Westminster: pic.twitter.com/tU3PdBXTXU
— ITV London (@itvlondon) July 27, 2018
14) Hello *rain, my old friend… I’ve come to talk to you again. Cool, water my garden then.
— Sophie ♡ (@BellaBaciami) July 27, 2018
15) Back to doing what Brits do best
What makes this country great? It’s when, in the first rain for months, a bloke you don’t know turns to you at the station and says: – “bloody weather”!
— Luke Schanche (@LukeSchanche) July 27, 2018
— Carl Campbell (@carlcampbell808) July 27, 2018